FERMENTED TURMERIC TONIC
NOTE: – Turmeric has powerful staining properties!!
5-7 inches turmeric root, peeled and cut into chunks
- 5-7 tamarind pods or 2 Tbsp. tamarind paste
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 2 quarts (1.89L) water
Put the turmeric root in the water and boil. Boil at least 20 minutes, until the water becomes a rich golden yellow.
- Prepare the tamarind pods. Crack and open the pods, and remove only the fruit. Simmer the tamarind fruit, stirring gently, so that it dissolves into a jam-like texture. When the seeds have come out of the fruit, let the mixture cool, then pour it through a strainer to remove the seeds and seed peels and create the paste.
- When the turmeric water is ready, add enough cool water to bring the temperature to just warm, and blend thoroughly to liquefy the cooked turmeric.
- Add the tamarind paste to the blended mixture and blend again.
- Add the lemon juice and honey, and blend once more.
- Add enough cool water to bring the quantity up to 2 quarts of liquid.
- Distribute the blended tonic into small jars with tight lids, leaving 1/2-1 inch of head space.
- Ferment at room temperature for 1-2 days, then refrigerate for storage.
The honey will gradually ferment, leaving the taste but not the sweetness. When you are ready to drink this, swirl to distribute the solids, or strain it before drinking if you prefer a clearer liquid.
Variations: Add a little ginger, for an extra kick, or use some brewed tulsi (basil) tea in place of some of the water.